What do you think of when people ask you what augmented reality (AR) is? Probably, many of you will think of Pokémon GO – the very booming game back in 2017, or the selfie filters we use on social media. Or maybe... Assemblr? 🤔

But really, when you take a closer look into it, AR has actually proven to be a handy tool even on a wider scale!

In 2021, the use of AR in Indonesia has reached the scope of our daily use cases. It can even be considered as a game-changer in various industries, such as medical, training, education, military, manufactures, and many others.

But what remains questionable is, are Indonesians actually aware of that? How well do they know about the current emerging technology?

To answer those questions, we conducted a random survey for Indonesians. Our respondents came from a wide-range of ages (10 - above 40 years old) with different professions (students, entrepreneurs, employees, and freelancers), and here's what we found!

An infographic of augmented reality awareness in Indonesia in 2021

When people answered that they didn't know about AR, we tried to show some examples of AR experiences such as Pokémon GO and Snapchat selfie filters screenshots to them.

Interestingly, they instantly changed their answer into "Yes", and they understood what AR is! This fact shows that majority of people have actually used AR experiences without knowing what AR exactly is.

Moreover, the data also speaks for itself that age bias in technology is no longer a thing. All people who answered that they were completely clueless about AR–even when we have presented some examples of it–are from the range of 18 - 25 years old.

On the other hand, although more than half of people above 40 years old (63%) didn't know what AR is, they all eventually answered that they realized the technology is after seeing some examples and even having used it for several cases.

While 81% of our respondents thought that AR is easy to use and access, our highlight goes to the other 19% who believed that they experienced difficulty while accessing and using AR experiences.

In this case, we probably need to be more agile in educating people that AR is fairly easy if you already find the right AR platforms, regardless of their background (Assemblr, for example 😆).

In a nutshell, as of 2021, we believe that Indonesians are quite aware of AR trends. And the good news is: not only that they are aware of AR, but they also know some of its usages! Some others even have made use of it for various purposes.

Along with the emerging 5G technology in Indonesia, AR can inevitably reach up to a wider scale for wider purposes as well.

Still, it's going to be our big challenge on how to democratize AR and also to raise more awareness, convincing people that the technology is not only a gimmick, but it can also be a helpful tool for their daily lives.


In Assemblr, we believe that all people – including you – can create and present your own AR experiences. With an easy-to-use application, Assemblr empowers people to implement AR in any occasion. Interested to unveil more possibilities of AR? Download Assemblr now, available in App Store and Play Store!